Thule child bike seats are ideal for the daily commute or for family adventures. They’re safe, easy to use and comfortable whether the ride is short or long. Every parent, child, and bicycle is unique, so it’s important to consider all of your options to ensure the best fit for your family.
At what age can my child start using a Thule child bike seat and at what age will they outgrow the seat?
All Thule child bike seats are made to be flexible and to allow for growing kids to start using the seat as early as 9 months of age, although you should always consult a pediatrician for children under 1 year old.
- Thule Rear Child Bike Seats are designed and tested for children from 9 months to 6 years old with a 48.5 lbs/22 kg weight capacity.
- Thule Front Child Bike Seats are for children 9 months to 3 years old and up to 33lbs/15 kg, giving your child an equally safe and comfortable ride but on top of the handlebars to share the view with you.
Each seat also allows for adjustable foot rests and foot straps as well as an adjustable 5-point harness, ready to accommodate inevitable growth spurts.
Rear or front mounted bike seats?
When it comes to choosing between a front or rear child bike seat, it all comes down to personal preference. Some riders even choose both!
Rear child bike seats have a higher weight capacity and larger footprint to accommodate children up to 6 years of age and up to 48lbs/22 kg. The Thule Yepp Nexxt Maxi is lightweight with a contemporary design; available in rack-mounted and frame-mounted models.
Front child bike seats offer the best view for you and your child. While they have a front-row seat for every 2-wheel adventure, you can keep an eye on them while also taking in your surroundings. The Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini is one of the lightest seats on the market with a smart design for rides around town.
Can a Thule child bike seat fit on any bike?
Not every bike is compatible with a child bike seat; however, Thule makes a variety of child bike seats to accommodate different styles and models of bikes including mountain bikes, road bikes, hybrid bikes, electric bikes, and more. Thule offers two styles of rear child bike seats: frame mounted and rack mounted. Frame mounted seats are secured to the bicycle’s seat post. Rack mounted seats attach directly to a bicycle’s rear luggage rack. Not all bikes come standard with a rear luggage rack, but Thule does offer an accessory rack for compatible bikes. Thule also offers front child bike seats, which are secured to the bicycle’s head tube. Please review the size metrics below before making your purchase.
Thule Rear Child Bike Seats
- Thule frame mounted child bike seats come with an adapter that secures to the bicycle’s seat tube
- The seat tube must be circular or oval and measures between 28-40mm in diameter
- The seat tube mounting zone must be greater than 15cm (measure down from where seat stay intersects the seat tube)
- Thule rack mounted bike seats attach directly to a bicycle’s rear luggage rack
- The rear bike rack must comply to ISO 11243, be made of steel, and have a minimum load capacity of 55lbs / 25 kg
- The rear bike rack must measure between 110-170mm in width and between 11-16mm in diameter
*For 26” city and hybrid wheeled bikes without an existing rear rack, the Thule Yepp Rear Rack is an aftermarket rack option - contact us
Thule Front Child Bike Seats
- Thule front child bike seats come with an adapter that secures to the bicycle’s head tube
- The head tube must be circular and measures between 20-28mm in diameter
What is the safest way to ride a bike with a child?
Safety and testing are at the forefront of all product development at Thule. Each child bike seat has met and surpassed the most stringent international safety standards, all without compensating for comfort and functionality. Each child bike seat comes equipped with a 5-point adjustable harness secured with a childproof safety buckle. Padded seats and harnesses along with shock absorbing materials ensure a smooth and comfortable ride for even the longest journeys.To ensure the safety of your child, please abide by the following guidelines:
- Do not leave your child unattended in a child bike seat
- Do not exceed 15 mph / 25 km in speed
- Avoid steep grades and uneven surfaces
- Avoid high traffic areas and stick to routes that you are comfortable riding
- Wear a well-fitted helmet
- Have your child wear a well-fitted helmet
- Practice proper bike signals and rules of the road
- Always inspect the child bike seat before each ride to ensure proper installation
Each seat also allows for adjustable footrests and foot straps as well as an adjustable 5-point harness, ready to accommodate inevitable growth spurts.
Are Thule child bike seats easy to clean?
Thule child bike seats are easy to clean and keep dry due to their water repellent materials. Simply wipe down the seat with lukewarm soapy water for routine maintenance.